Friday, February 19, 2010

Craft Addiction

I have noticed over the last year that my crafting is becoming more of an addiction. Now, instead of making bows, I am wondering....what else can I do? This week alone, I have started three new little projects; bottle caps, glass tiles, and key fobs! What am I doing? I can't control myself. My goal was to sit down with my sewing machine and get re-acquainted. That didn't happen...well I take that back...it did. I used it to sew a key fob and I used it hem my daughters pants. Good for me! (Giving myself a pat on the back right now). I recently started crocheting...so of course one more thing to add to my crafting/hobbies. My husband and I were actually watching a movie the other night and I casually mentioned that while in the craft store I was perusing the crafting books and came across some cute baby crochet patterns and some very cute, soft yarn in the knitting section. His response, "Crap! I am never going to get my hobby room am I?" This was followed up with, "Our next house is going to need seven bedrooms just so we can each have our own hobby rooms". To which I replied, "We can share" and laughed. He didn't find it funny in the least bit! I am still laughing......

What started out as a little "bow business" has grown into this. I have so many spools of ribbon that they have taken over my living room. Along with that ribbon, is all of the "extras" one needs like headbands, beanies, fold over elastic (of which I print my own designs...LOL), boxes (for shipping of course...and maybe to hide purchases...ssshhhhh...don't tell okay?), books (everything from crochet to making lamp shades....I told you it was an addiction), light box (for taking photos), flowers (all sorts, for those entirely too cute hair clips you see in photography props)...the list goes on and on. Yes, addiciton. I am slightly ashamed. Okay, not really one bit ashamed. I love making new things! It is expression and therapy for a mother of three. It is sanity (even though the clutter creates some insanity at times). My grandmother was a crafter. She was a seamstress (she could make anything), she would crochet (which she tried to teach me...I was just too young) and she used to dabble in Ceramics (which she also taught me to do). I must have gotten the crafting bug from her. Some of my best memories are creating things with her. I made my Mom the cutuest little pig for her kitchen with my grandmother. My Mom still has it in her kitchen to this day. I think crafting brings you closer to your loved ones. What you make comes from the heart. It will be cherished by its' new owner for a long time, if not forever. I laugh about this little addiction (okay...slightly big addiction), but I am able to share a passion with those around me, and it makes me happy to check out of whatever is stressful in my day, and sit down, and create something pretty with my very own hands. That makes it all worth it! We just may need to have those seven bedrooms, but think of the happiness it will bring! (Still laughing......)

No comments: