Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Not just Bows

Tutus are fun too! I was inspired by a new ribbon...Aqua Floral Waves. I love these colors. So girly and fun, but also the color combination is very Retro and I love anything Retro (My daughter has a Retro Kitchen...it is pink of course)! What's in a Tutu? Well, in the case of this particular tutu a lot of blood sweat and tears (okay, okay...not really but it sure felt like it!). Not that they are difficult by any means. It was more because of anal retentiveness (can I even say that...or should I say that?)...LOL Okay, just to be nice, I will say "perfectionist attitude". But it isn't merely that. I just wanted to find the method that felt right. I started with panels. I have made several tutus in the past by using the knotting method. Let me just say, while this method is cute and easy, it just wasn't for me, or rather for my daughter. I didn't like how the tulle sat on the waistband, or rather, didn't stay where I wanted it to. So, I started with the idea that I would make one long peice of tulle by pinning. My intent was to treat it as one large piece of tulle. That didn't work as well as I hoped. So, I then broke that down into panels of four. It was going well at first, but then the perfectionism started in again and I just didn't like how it was turning out. Well that, and the fact that threading the elastic through the longer panel was not as easy as I anticipated! So, I decided to sew each panel (color) separately and then thread them onto the elastic as I went. By this time, I had spent TOO much time on this little project. It should have taken less than an hour to make! There are so many different methods for making tutus out there, but I wanted to try something different. Well, it is different, but I think over all, it turned out pretty well and I am happy to say that I made it. You be the judge!









3 comments:

Jess said...

Oooh Carrie I just love this tutu & bow!

Erin said...

Love the colors you chose for these! You have such a great eye.

Tammy said...

Hey girl I love this!!! Can you make me one?